General Lansing Development

Comments

• he public safety complex does have their aesthetic

Have you seen a rendering, or are you just talking about the site plan?
  • I think I saw a ground breaking thing on LinkedIn for it. They do good work but rarely anything exciting. Especially the studio that would have done this.

Have to say, I drive by Walter French a lot and was so glad they were installing windows more true to the original. I thought they might cheap out on it. It's coming together nicely.
  • Yeah it was in a WKAR story, I thought it got posted somewhere. I have it in the development rundown thread along with renderings of Walter French that might not have been shared here.
    https://www.wkar.org/wkar-news/2023-10-26/new-public-safety-campus-breaks-ground-in-lansing

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnpr-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2F6a%2F2c%2F0c89460b4c958e30b3575256d094%2Fpublic-safety-complex-rendering.jpg
  • Oh, interesting. The rendering does a good job of hiding the ridiculous amount of parking out back. lol
  • I have not been over to this area in a while, and I was wondering about the high-rise apartment building that was talked about a while ago on N. Grand River at the north side of the river. I have not heard or read anything about this project for some time.
  • edited March 15
    The property is still in possession of the land bank, so I've long suspected after the initial splash that this wasn't a serious project.

Next week's council agenda includes:

- Sale of Parking Lot #1 on South Grand for $760,000 to the Bojis. This will be developed into housing.
    - Reconsideration of the brownfield amendment for The Ovation that failed on a 4-4 vote last Monday.
    - Looks like the mayor is resubmitting the revised purchase agreement for the Masonic Temple to the council, so it's not up for passage or anything, but it's weird to resubmit this to the council literally a week after they rejected it and they seemingly all agreed that there was going to be much more research done on this before considering it, again. I'm confused.
  • I don't know what to make of that project near Turner Dodge. Someone obviously put a fair bit of work into coming up with a fairly detailed proposal unique to the site and took the time to go through rezoning. The Land Bank owning the property kinda eliminates one concern I had about it being a speculator trying to get it rezoned to remarket the land. Remember, this was around when they announced the Megasite in Eagle, I tend to think maybe this project was proposed because there was the immediate possibility of a chip factory being built just down N Grand River and someone wanted to be ahead of the game.

I'm anxious to see what the Boji/CATA project ends up being. At first they didn't even sound sure about the inclusion of apartments, now that seems likely. I really have no idea what to expect: How much space is CATA going to take? How many apartments? Any ground floor commercial space? Will they work with the housing commission on a combined site plan for the block? Will this be another 4 floor building or might we get a mid-rise? Lots of unknowns.

I'm really happy to see the reconsideration of the Ovation's extra funding, although given the attitudes I saw at the last meeting I'm having difficulty seeing how they come to a different result. Must be someone had a change of heart.
  • We already know the general outline of what CATA/Boji is planning here. A bit over 50 apartments and 4-5 floors; it's going to be similar in scale to what's going to go next door. I'm curious to see the massing.

I remember CMs Brown (against) and Spadafore (for) discussing reconsideration at the meeting; it was Brown who ultimately voted to slow this down, but I did get the sense that he's gettable.
  • Ah, I think I remember city kid mentioning that in a thread, right? A 4-5 floor five-over-one would seem the most predictable option but I was figuring that if CATA was going to end up on anything more than the first floor that could change things, every time this project has been mentioned everything has seemed up in the air. I could just about see these from my house, at least when the trees are bare, so they are of particular interest to me.
  • edited March 18
    Finally, the old one-story, mid-century brick building immediately south of the Holy Cross homeless shelter on Larch north of Shiawassee has been demolished. For some reason, I thought this building belonged to them, but apparently it's the Eyde's who have long owned all that land around it to the south and east. I have no idea if they've revived redevelopment of these prominent parcels.

I used the city's open data property file to highlight the totality the various Eyde LLCs own around the homeless shelter:

iexfcuag9t9q.png