General Lansing Development

Comments

• @MichMatters I'm also glad to see infill development in that neighborhood, duplexes certainly aren't ideal but they're better than vacant land. The neighbors complaining is predictable and somewhat justified given the lack of duplexes currently in the neighborhood, hopefully they'll at least get better quality construction and landscaping for their efforts. For what it's worth, if Reid was throwing out the idea of 6 single family rentals as a viable option then I would prefer that they go with that plan, I'm sure the neighbors would also.

@cliffordzang I saw that the back wall of one of the pole barns had collapsed at some point, they had an excavator out cleaning that up several months ago but that pole barn was left standing for awhile after I saw that. I haven't been by there since anything you're talking about has been done so I can't speak to it. I do hope to see this property cleaned up along with the other commercial properties along that stretch, their condition isn't helping that neighborhood any. The concrete place in particular might be a good spot for a small apartment complex, a little retail space here could be great for the area also.

• edited August 2017

No, the neighbors don't want anything there. And the councillers in fact used the 6 single family rentals as an undesirable example. They were complaining about traffic, noise, the loss of "greenspace" (that none of them use), and "low-income housing," which is something no one had brought up as part of the proposal. Basically, they are complaining about the addition of anything on that vacant land, so it's mostly rooted in that they don't want any additiona housing density.

• It seems like they are really pushing the City Hall sale and redevelopment. I saw those drawings again on the LSJ site. I think they were saying these are only ideas of what might go in there. I am glad about that because the drawings are really bad, they look like an apartment block outside of Shanghai, and not in a good way.

• Actually, the LSJ piece was basically about how Virg is running out of time for stay on his schedule for this as no developers have come forward yet, and they only have until the 21st if he wants to get this done.

• I'm expecting a proposal will come in at the 11th hour, deliberately so no other developer has time to look at it and modify their own before submitting.

The timeline for this is very aggressive, and I believe it's due to two reasons: 1, Virg doesn't have a lot of time left in office and he would need to do it because nobody else will (I disagree that this project should be done), and 2, I believe that there was a developer working on this for many months before it became public.

There's no way that a developer could put together such a large proposal in literally three weeks.

• I guess we'll have to wait and see, but if as you say there is no way anyone but someone working in the background could come up with a plan with this schedule, there'd be no reason for this one developer to wait until the literal 11th hour. We're practically already at the 11th hour.

• Yeah that's a good point. Maybe waiting so there's less scrutiny before the proposal goes before a board/commission?
  • The Mayor must think that public input impedes progress. He is the one person who know's what is best for Lansing.

• edited August 2017

So today's the deadline for City Hall proposals. Think we'll hear anything tonight or tomorrow?

• edited August 2017

Sure! This administration has been all about transparency, right? (insert sarcastic face here)