General Lansing Development

Comments

• Could someone post links to the old house pictures of Park Avenue near Quentin Park, I would love to see the old elm trees on my street. Also maybe a good poster could post some of the neighborhood of Cherry Hill and the area that was destroyed for the highway and Capitol Complex. I really liked the older buildings that were already posted. I can not seem to figure out how to find theses areas. I do not know the parcel numbers for my parents house but it is in the 1500 block. That would so nice, I am not good at these things! thank you.

• Do you have a specific address? Everything is listed by parcel, and without an address to look up the property data I wouldn't know how to find the parcel.

• I found my house on Park Ave, and I think I am in the photo standing in the front yard! I don't know how to link it but the number is 3301 20 408 051-1 if you have any interest in seeing me and my bike in 1963, it is a bit out of focus. I think it so cool to see this and the other photos. So many tiny old houses, and lots of kids in the yards and cars parked where ever.

• Wow so cool, you are a celebrity @gdbinlansing! Yeah, kids don't spend as much time outdoors anymore, and there's a lot more rules about where cars can be parked etc. I wish people spent more time outside, we've got a great climate here that has all four seasons and there's always something new to see and enjoy.

• A small development, but one that seems to be making it's way slowly but surely through the approval process, Reid Machinery on the southside just south of the railroad tracks on MLK is working to build three duplexes on a vacant, wooded plot of land on Victor Avenue immediately north of its facility. Victor is the last street south-bound before you hit the railroad tracks and the industrial/retail area to the south, so it acts as a border area. The development is planned a block in from MLK.

Anyway, reading planning commission and planning committee documents (agendas and minutes) the neighborhood, of course, is against it. They are complaining about rentals coming to the neighborhoods and traffic, etc...despite this being literally the only vacant parcel on the street. Someone mentioned not wanting "low-income housing" in the neighborhood, which is obviously code. The council assured them this will be market rate. The council also has told the neighbors that, by right, the Reid Machinery could take up the entire vacant parcel with six single-family homes and rent them out, so this is actually a smaller footprint.

I'm really excited to see people doing infill in neighborhoods outside the normal nodes of development activity we've seen. So, it's always a little funny when I see the opposition to this type of stuff. Victor Avenue wasn't always a neighborhood; it was at one time empty land, too. But, that never dawns on these people with their "I got mine, Jack." attitudes. You'd think by the overreaction to this that Reid Machinery had proposed putting up an apartment building on the site. All they are proposing is three side-by-side units.

Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing what's built. Currently, Reid is trying to get the rezoning from B-Residential to C-Residential to allow for duplexes.

• Not a huge thing but it was announced yesterday that Culver's is building a new store near the South Penn Meijer. http://www.wilx.com/content/news/Culvers-coming-to-south-Lansing-439958333.html

• Also, has anyone heard what is going on at Consumers Concrete on Malcolm X St? For the past month they have been cleaning up their lot. A bunch of stacked blocks were bulldozed together and removed. The back portion of their lot is also showing signs of being cleaned up. At least one pole barn has been brought down also. Just curious as I see these changes but haven't seen anything about them.

• Thank you for posting the photo of my childhood home. At times there were nine family members living in that house with one bathroom that only had a bathtub no shower. I had just turned eight years old and that was my new birthday bike. Now I'm afraid you all know just how old I' am! I get my first social security check next month! Yeaa!

Those woods by Victor were kind of the edge of our neighborhood and was where local kids would go when they were running away from home but wanted to be found. Is it a nice neighborhood now? People react the same way everywhere, it is always kind of nasty, it was the same when we built our place out east we were "those people".

• Yes, the neighborhood is fairly nice. Not wealthy or anything, but it's fairly well kept up and weathered a lot of what has hurt a lot of other neighborhoods. That said, they are totally overreacting and some of the rhetoric against such a small development has been concerning to me. There needs to be more people in that area to support the businesses that have declined in that area; that's how they should be viewing this.