General Lansing Development

Comments

• edited August 2017

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2017/08/22/developers-compete-city-hall-sale-all-proposals/590172001/

Four developers submitted proposals:

• Beitler Real Estate Services LLC, of Chicago
    • Boji Group LLC, of Lansing
    • Urban Systems LLC/WestPac Communities, of Okemos
    • Karp and Associates LLC, of Lansing

The article says that developers were given a RFP on June 13, about one and a half months before this became public. Why does a deal regarding public property need to be so secretive? I shouldn't need to sound like a conspiracy theorist when I say that we should be able to know what our government is working on. If it was OK for private developers to know, then there shouldn't be a reason private citizens shouldn't know.

• I was surprised how little detail was given in the article, though the Beitler proposal keeps the existing building. I'm still skeptical this process goes the distance given the time, which is why I'm confused why he's pushing this as if it's something that could be done before he leaves office.

• http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2017/08/24/historic-old-town-project-add-loft-apartments-grand-river-avenue-lansing/589735001/

One of the last remaining vacant buildings in Old Town is getting some occupants. Work will begin soon on the project with a target completion of Spring 2018. The first floor will become office, occupied by a design firm, and the rest of the floors of the buildings will become apartments.

• That's a beautiful old building.

• It is! I can't believe that it sold in 2015 for only $34,400. I wish I could have bought it :#

• I guess it shows I haven't been in the district as often as I used to, because I used to drive by at night and see parties going on in the upper unit. Completely possible that the previous owner continued to lease out the upper floors until very recently and just told his tenants that he was selling the building and let their leases run out.

Anyway, glad to hear this. Changing the top unti into a two-floor apartment (using the roof) sounds really cool. Given that this is one of the last major vacant buildings in the district, hopefully, that means new construction in the district, finally, in the form of quality infill. For instance, On the Grand condominiums up on Turner still has one large parcel of land left along Dodge River Drive to expand for 11 additional rowhomes.

• The new condos will have great views!

• Yes if it is all such a great idea to sell City Hall why is it is such a delicate and secretive issue?

• edited August 2017

I've noticed a slight exterior redo taking place on the old Dicker & Deal Building on Cedar at Isbell between Mt. Hope and Baker. A lot of art work is going up on the facade including a large, complicated mural on the south side of the building nearest the sidewalk. Saw a group out working on it this afternoon. According to city records, it still appears to be owned back Dicker & Deal. Anyone know what they might have planned for it? Seems like it would make a great art studio and gallery. Whatever it is, it does appear to be unconventional for this poor neighborhood.

BTW, had never looked into this, but had always wondered why the nearly block-long empty lot was present on the other side of the street for as long as I can remember. Apparently, Adams Outdoor Advertising owns the entire lot. I always thought it would make a great space for neighborhood-type retail for this under-served area. But given that it's been owned by a billboard company since 2003, that seems out of the question. The city values the 0.8 acres at $88,800 today, which seems fairly cheap to me, though it was sold to Adams for $135,000.

• Thinking of that area, it could be a small hub,[Outer REOtown or The Walter French Neighborhood ] the school building could house a lot of residents, they could support area small businesses that might extend up Mt. Hope to S Washington. A traffic circle at Cedar and Mt Hope might tame the traffic on Cedar, and make a more pleasant area for business to redevelop. Meanwhile there is some very poor housing on those blocks that should be removed. I have noticed they seem to be renovating the former Asian restaurant on Mt. Hope across from French. It would great to see the lower rung businesses like car lots, discount carpet stores,closed service stations and the like be replaced with with something better.