Marketplace

Comments

• You have to also remember the audience that the posted site plan was drawn for... Vendors. The concern was if the vendors could get access to the site and then easily get back off for staging, so the arrows kind of make the rivertrail look like a road, but the intention is and always has been that 99.9% of the time that path serves as a part of the rivertrail... because vendors actually asked that part of the rivertrail integrate into the City Market operations.

Also, not sure if this is worth mentioning here, but look at what the 1999 comprehensive plan for downtown suggests for the future of the City Market:

“This site has great potential for many different uses that would contribute to the Commerce Center due to its visibility, central location on the river, and proximity to the stadium and Lansing Center. The site design should respond directly to the river and surrounding attractions. The site could be renovated and expanded as a full service farmers market with cafes and seasonal retail. Hours of operation should be adjusted to improve the market’s availability to the shopping public. A sophisticated pedestrian promenade and plaza should be created in association with this expansion and should be developed in coordination with other riverfront improvements”

That last line sticks out to me the most. The City seems to be doing everything the master plan suggested, and even on the issue of visibility they have some pretty sweet plans for new signage that will direct people to the market (and tell them when the market is open)
  • Lancity, do you think you could find some update siteplans and renderings of this thing? You seem to be in-the-know.
  • is there a way to upload on this thing or only link to a website?
  • I just upload pics to Photobucket.com and link them here.
  • I'll host files too if somebody wants to email them to me.
  • edited August 2008
    So it sounds like the new City Market development's fate is teetering and possibly leaning towards not happening. Also, Gillespie is suggesting if this doesn't go through he will rethink his focus on developing downtown, which might be an empty threat to get this passed, but do we want to chance? Tonight is a hearing on this for the City Council at 7pm 10th floor of City Hall. I'm definitely going to voice my support and it would be great if anyone else does the same. Also, I've posted contact info for the council members. I've already sent them an e-mail in support and maybe I'll call their offices as well.

If this is getting a little too political and maybe not appropriate for this forum please let me know, but I thought this was important enough to post and allow others to decide for themselves.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080804/NEWS01/808040344

jeffries@ci.lansing.mi.us; dquinney@ci.lansing.mi.us; sallen@ci.lansing.mi.us; kdunbar@ci.lansing.mi.us; ehewitt@ci.lansing.mi.us; TKaltenb@ci.lansing.mi.us; arobins@ci.lansing.mi.us; cwood@ci.lansing.mi.us

Carol Wood (517) 483-4188
    A’Lynne Robinson (517) 483-4191
    Tim Kaltenbach (517) 483-4190
    Eric Hewitt (517) 483-4181
    Kathie Dunbar (517) 483-4171
    Sandy Allen (517) 483-4178
    Derrick Quinney (517) 483-4170
    Brian Jeffries (517) 483-4180
  • I'm also not sure how plausible it is that this won't go through given the City Council hasn't voted against a development once for a couple years. And it sounded like people thought the Planning Commission wouldn't pass it and they did unanimously, so maybe I'll going a little overboard.
  • right now it doesn't have the votes to pass, if you know anything about council then you can probably guess where the votes are landing... they need 6 yes votes for the development to pass...

if they say no next monday night, downtown development will be a thing for east lansing
  • edited August 2008
    CityMarketMostRecent.jpg
  • The future of Lansing is teetering on this vote, it will set a tone for awhile and investors and developers will surely take note. I'm very worried, I could write an essay about how I feel about this whole situation. But if I was on council, and this vote fails, I would resign.

BTW, I like that new siteplan.