Capitol Club Tower (Proposed high rise condos!!!)

Comments

• That's great to hear LMich. Hopefully we can start to see some movement on the site in the Spring at the latest.
  • Do you remember if they already went through and got their tax abatements, zoning and all that stuff?
  • Well that sounds like good news, I'll be looking for more information on this.
  • I would almost like to see this get delayed for a year...and hopefully by then the economy will be starting to turn around and with pent up demand this could go back up to 18-20 floors...however, 12 is better than none, so I'll take what we can get.
  • I agree, it's better than nothing at all. I wonder what are the chances of new development projects to come up soon. Really would like to see the city improve... and be like a safe major city not only in Michigan, but the mid-west and the United States if it's likely. At least we are starting to see developments appear, and usually when developments are proposed the economic situation isnt improving ( or not?).
  • edited January 2009
    Hood, I was going to ask everyone the same thing. I haven't been keeping up on exactly how many hurdles they've passed, and they haven't been to vocal about what they have and haven't received, but If what I hear is right, they are still scheduled to have a Feb/March construction start.

BTW, projects can stay on-hold, forever. If this drags on too much longer, folks are going to start asking for their initial money back, and that's when things get very ugly for developers.
  • LMich, yeah, that's why I said 12 floors is better than none...I figured if demolition of those buildings and construction doesn't happen in the next 6 months or so, the project would probably never happen. If they started demolition in Feb./March, and construction started early summer, at what point would they be locked into the final height of the building? Can they increase it after groundbreaking, or is it finalized at that point?

I'm sure I'm looking the gift horse in the mouth at this point, with this economy I probably should just shut-up and be VERY happy if we even see 12 floors with this project.
  • I can hardly wait for this project to start. Thanks for the recent info LMich.

@Coolbreeze: I think this already is a safe city. Not just in Michigan, but in the Midwest for sure...
  • I almost don't mind if this doesn't even happen. It's far from the best location for a highrise condo tower. My favorite location would be the lot at Grand & Michigan or the Grandview plaza. But there are many spots on Washington, Michigan and Grand that would make better sites than Capitol View, being so close to a 15 floor tower and only having street frontage on one side, the only advantage is the river. Don't get me wrong, I would still appreciate this project, but I hope it does stop other, bigger projects from being proposed in the future.
  • Hmm... I really can't say the best site for this project due to not seeing exactly all the locations downtown, so your point is probably debateable. Although with time, who knows... maybe another project would be place around there. I'm just glad they are bringing these projects in Lansing and not Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, Detroit, because I'll be glad to see Lansing really improve. Perhaps it may stop me from always thinking about New York City ( don't get me wrong, I like the city lie and outdoors. I mean if you really think about it New York City has a lot of nature around it, including the Atlantic.). So it's about the best location I can imagen at the moment, and easy to describe in two sentences.
    In Lansing. Located downtown.