General Lansing Development

Comments

• According to the BWL's "Connections" newsletter they held it at Adado Riverfront Park because of construction on the east side of the Grand River. I didn't go this year, totally forgot about it. But the last few years I have gone they still ended up with long lines and ran out of chili at a lot of the tents. Did they extend the times this year? I don't remember it going past 8 in previous years.
  • I wonder what kind of construction they were talking about? BTW, it went to 10 P.M., but I don't recall if these are extended hours.
  • I'm guessing that they were planning on the new city market and riverwalk to already be under construction by now.
  • I saw this in the city council agenda a week or two ago, but it was formally reported today in the LSJ (and, for whatever reason, the blub is not on the website), today, that Harry Hepler is looking to revive the old Blue Coyote on Pere Marquette siting the new activity in the area (i.e. Stadium District) since last it closed in 2000. I think this would be a huge boost to the area and create the synergy in the area that the Blue Coyote was unable to create when it originally opened in the 90's.
  • It's on the website under Local News Briefs. I hope that this happens and that the place has the same look and feel as the original. I wonder if it will be at the same location?
  • Strange; they usually try to place these things in the updates. Anyway, here it is:
    Developer looks to bring back Blue Coyote

Developer Harry Hepler is attempting to bring his Blue Coyote Brewing Co. back to Lansing.

"Its solid reputation in the community and devoted following along with the emergence of the Stadium District make this the perfect time for the reopening of Blue Coyote," Hepler wrote city officials in a Sept. 22 letter.

The correspondence was included in materials submitted to the Lansing City Council on Monday so that members can consider holding a July 6 hearing regarding Hepler's project plan. The Lansing Economic Development Corp. is proposing a $250,000 loan for Hepler's proposed project.

Hepler's brewery initially opened on Pere Marquette Drive in the 1990s. It closed in 2000.

I'd assume given that he mentions the Stadium District, it will definitely be somewhere within the general vicinity.
  • edited June 2009
    Well, this was quick:

Group wants to buy former Christman HQ

Barbara Wieland • bwieland@lsj.com • June 10, 2009 • From Lansing State Journal

The Michigan Pharmacists Association plans to move to the former Christman Co. headquarters.

The trade group wants to buy the site at 408 Kalamazoo Plaza. But first, the sale needs the city of Lansing's OK because a small portion of the building - at the junction of Kalamazoo Avenue and the Grand River - overlaps onto city-owned land.

A Lansing City Council committee could approve the request as early as today, City Clerk Chris Swope said. "It's up for referral," he said. "The mayor has sent a letter to the City Council" to recommend it.

They are currently up in the Walnut Neighborhood (literally on the other side of the boundary from Old Town, officially) on Washington between Saginaw and Oakland. It's good to see the old Christman Building not sitting empty for long.

3501725017_1eb4dd3829.jpg
    Eridony
  • It's nice to see that somebody wants to stay downtown.
  • The Dental Association is the only major association to move out of downtown, isn't it? I'd say that it's nice to see so few of this organizations and associations choosing the suburbs, no?
  • I was more talking about businesses leaving in general, even though that trend is beginning to reverse. It seems most of the small offices of all types have been lost to suburban office parks, it's slowed some since the 80's and 90's though.