General Lansing Development

Comments

• I kind of got the feeling from the Boji's that the MDA proposal is far from a done deal despite my other sources telling me that this was pretty much finished and only formalities remained, so I'm not so sure. It could be, too, though, that the Boji's don't want to let anymore on than what is actually a done deal. In my correspondences with them, they've been the most tightlipped of any sources I've ever delt with, so I'm not so inclined to believe them, either.
  • From yesterday's LSJ Business Briefs:

Vlahakis brokers Clippert deal

The former Frandor Printing site at 543 Clippert St. has been sold. Vlahakis Commercial brokered the sale. The building is on about one-third of an acre. Vlahakis said the site will be redeveloped

I wonder what is planned there, I can't picture exactly where this is, but I wonder what kind of redvelopment there will be. It will prabably be just another small strip center, but who knows, maybe we will be suprised. BTW, this is north clippert, so it doesen't have anything to do with those apartments.
  • The LSJ is reporting the YMCA downtown will be expanding into its top floor. It's only 3,500 square feet or so, but a nice little piece of news. I'd personally like to see that particular structure either get a new facade, or torn down altogether for new development, but at least it's being used, and is usually very busy at all times of day.

543 Clippert must be in one of the tiny sliver of Lansing Township, as it's not on the Lansing assessor website. Everything on the westside of Clippert to Vine is Lansing Township. This building would be almost right behind the new structure that has gone up on Clippert and Saginaw.
  • The LSJ is also reporting that the Majority restaurant may close and move to the Hollister Building. The article seemed to portray three different possibilities to me, either they were thinking of closing outright, moving to the Hollister building, or just adding a new location in the Hollister Building.

I think that if they do move to the Hollister Building, it can really help Washington Sq. Does anybody know if their business is slow? or any other reason they may outright close?
  • No, they made it pretty clear that Majority is going out of business, and that their equipment will be moved to the Hollister Building. I was always wondering how Majority was going to survive. It doesn't sit on a pedestrian corridor, and I guess it wasn't a destination enough to make it a successful destination restaurant. To open a restaurant off the square is a brave move, but some might argue that it's even dumb. Majority would have had to have been something beyond special to survive at that location.
  • Dusty's English Inn can do it, out in the middle of no where. Majority could have made it with all the people in the vicinity. Its sad to see it go, I ranked it as our top area restaurant for 'the whole package', however it was never busy. I think one of the things that killed them was opening while the Capital Loop project was still underway, you couldn't get to them. Also, during that initial period, while the street was tore up, they couldn't quite get into a groove. I went and the they were out of all of their beef entrees, not one, not two, but three of them. Major points off. The new restaurant buzz was totally squandered, or missed, 'Lansing's Sexiest Restaurant' works for a nightclub, not so much for a fine place to eat. Knight Cap, in my opinion, is tops for food and service, but decor is way outdated. Tavern on the Square has done a great job on decor, but I think the menu could use some help. The food that is on that menu is great, but they have donuts on the dessert menu!! One block over could have helped, but it would not have really made a difference.

Its really too bad, I have never been impressed with the Red Cedar Grill, but I was very impressed with Majority. Oh well, that's one less independent restaurant for Lansing people to ignore....... hey everyone Applebee's has norovirus on special, eatin good in the neighborhood.......no.....Taco Bell has extra lettuce and scallions with that!!!!
  • LSJ.com has updated the Majority story, they seem to be backpedaling on the closing.
  • The City Pulse has an article on the closing this week:

http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=706&Itemid=2

Quotes:

“Lansing people still don’t want to walk more than two blocks,” he said. - John Truscott, PR Firm for Boji Group

I've always worried about any business that depends on walk ins and pedestrian traffic setting up west of Capitol. It seems to be this very forbidden idea that the downtown be expanded (at ground level) westward from Washington. I think Lansing is more than capable enough to support more than just two corridors of solid retail (i.e. Washington and Michigan). Despite Majority being literally two blocks from Washington Square the way the downtown is set up it might as well have been two miles.
  • It sounds to me that a resturaunt will be moving into Hollister, unrelated to Majority, and they are considering moving Majority there in additon to the other resturaunt. Their other option seems to be is to close and forget about Majority all together. I would definately consider the LSJ story more reliable, simply because they spoke directly to one of the Boji's.
  • It sounds like they are simply going to move the equipment of the Majority, like both stories made note of, to the Hollister for a new restaurant. I don't see how anyone could think they are opening two restaurants in the Hollister from what we are given. That's wishful thinking.