Accident Fund Headquarters (Ottawa Street Station Redevelopment)

Comments

• Are you talking about the structure here to the lower right of this photo I took a few months back?

3377616490_39980ef363.jpg
  • I just drove by there and they finally have the ramp completely down. It opens up some really nice views of downtown.
  • The beams that MichMatters referenced in the previous post are to remain and will be restored. The beams support the former overhead gantry crane that will also be restored and will remain within the building.
  • edited October 2009
    Out of curiosity, what exactly is a gantry crane, and what was it specifically used for within the station? I'm still not sure how this station worked when it was still in operation (i.e. where the coal was burned, what 'floor' the turbines were on, what kind of equipment existing inside, etc...)
  • Gantry cranes are the big overhead cranes that roll on tracks. In the power station it would have been used to move heavy equipment in and out, like the generators.
  • The West side of the building housed the turbines, while the East had the boilers and coal bunkers. If you notice on the East elevation roughly 2/3 thirds of the lower facade did not have windows and that is where the coal bunker were once located. New windows are being added to bring daylight into the upper floors on 3 & 4. A gantry crane is a large overhead crane that runs on rails and in this case it was used to service the turbines. In the photo the rails would be the two brown colored beams running parallel, projecting north out of the building. Hope that helps.
  • Thanks; I knew the area directly to the north had been used as a coal field, but I hadn't known that station had an internal coal bunker.
  • They've started on the front part of the annex, which was being blocked by the parking ramp. They also started putting a brick facade on the north side of the annex. I didn't at all expect to see brick on the new building, I just hope that they don't use brick on any of the other sides
  • edited October 2009
    From the renderings, I expected the non-glass sides to be faced with some fancy plastic or some other material.