General Lansing Development

Comments

• Developed Scott Gillespie is going to announced his plans for the Emil block on Michigan tomorrow at 11 AM. Only word is that it will be "mixed-use." As you know, a block to the east on the northside Scott Gillespie has a plan to turn the vacant bank building into a brewery. Hopefully, the empty lot on the southside of this block (nextdoor to the hot tub store) will get some love eventually, too.
  • Good, I've bee anxious to see what his plans are, especially since Emil's announced that they were closing. Here's to hoping for a nice 3-4 floor building at Michigan and Clemens...
  • edited November 2015
    Nice height, but beyond that quite a disappointment with the architecture. I think what disappoints me even more is that this isn't going up on an empty lot, but rather on one of the few blocks of intact historic storefronts on the entire strip. I mean, if you're going to replace one of the last historic streetwalls, at least have the archtitecture be worthwhile. Anyway, meh, here's the rendering:

635824052987457237-flats.jpg

4-stories, 39 apartments, 11,500 square feet of commercial space. I guess East Town Flats can be given its own page, now.
  • To be honest, I think any development down that stretch is at least a bit better than it's current state of affairs. Even if it is a bit uninspired.

CityPulse has a bit more info on it. Construction starts in spring 2016 with completion in 2017. With this, SkyVue, Red Cedar Rennaisance, and the Under the Bridge project, driving down Michigan looks like it will be pretty different experience in just a couple years (here's hoping they fix the terrible road condition by then as well, hehe).
  • edited November 2015
    What's there now is a fairly attractive group of historic buildings (particularly the one on the east end) if even they have been underutilized. Anyway, this is going to happen; doesn't mean that I'm going to pretend to be happy. Eventually, a place can lose its identity if you're not saving anything. The building picture above could literally be built in a field somewhere in Okemos and we'd be none the wise. There is nothing about it that is either cutting edge modern or speaks to the history of the block its replacing. I'm not fundamentally against new replacing old, but it has to be of quality if you're going to do it. This is not quality architecture by any stretch. I mean, give us something traditional like Stadium District of wacky like Midtown, but please don't give us something as bland and faceless as this.

Fortunately, at least for now, it looks like the north block will remain intact.
  • I like the idea of new developments in the downtown area, Michigan ave in particular. That will hopefully bring business to that section of downtown as the demand will grow. It would be nice if it was a taller building, with some amazing architectural features but ill take it. I'm still waiting for that architect with a "pair" to design something that brings tourists to the area. Tired of other cities getting all the tourist attraction..
  • I would have to agree with MichMatters. The rendering is very much less than inspiring. If it were white I would say it would look right in any Florida beach front condo complex. I know the little line of store fronts has been well used, but why not perverse the street level authentic 19th and early 20th century buildings. Build the new apartments up behind the strip of store fronts. It really is the only block on E. Michigan that has a full line of store fronts and was the east side's neighborhood shopping and bar district. Haven't we lost enough of historic Lansing replaced by a lot of underwhelming buildings? There are so many blocks on E. Michigan that really could be redeveloped. I am hoping that this drawing is preliminary and we will see something more refined, I mean are those big dark squares metallic, or brick?
    Think about Old Town or the strip by the Nuthouse or any other tiny bit of town that has escaped urban renewal and highway wrecking balls. These are the places people gather shop eat and spend money. Now think of N. Washington Square. It seems like we have a strong mayor who I wish would be more like Thom Menino, he had a say in anything that was built and made sure every new building was up to a high architectural standard that related to Boston. While he may have had critics in that area, he never let anyone build a pole barn downtown or in some historic neighborhood. Our mayor should have a sign on his door "No More Ugly Buildings"!
  • edited November 2015
    Just noticed, today, that the long-vacant three-story building at the southwest corner of Kalamzoo and Hosmer (across from Art's Bar) is now either painted entirely black or there is some kind of black netting over it. I've always be surpised the building hasn't gotten more interest. The neighborhood is a bit rough, but nothing too dangerous, and the prominent location on the hill gives probably the best view of downtown from anywhere in the city. The owner had brought the building up enough for him to market it years ago after it had sat largely unsecured for years, but no one ever bit. I'm wondering if this new color is to further secure it and bring attention to it for marketing, or if it's part of some imminent redevelopment? Anyway, it was a building you couldn't miss before, and now you REALLY can't miss it. CSX's tracks cut diagonally along the western side of the property creating a triangle lot, which might make parking a bit difficult depending on how they want to develop it.
  • I wonder if that building's in very good shape? Maybe 10 years ago they covered it in some sort of faux stucco material, then the western wall collapsed about five or so years ago and it was rebuilt really cheaply. I wish they would have just left the original brick facade to be restored on this building, I wonder if the brick could be brought back at a reasonable cost?

From March 2001:
    738%20kalamazoo%202.jpg

From January 2005:
    738%20kalamazoo%201.jpg

Most recent Google Streetview view:
    738%20kalamazoo%203.jpg
  • edited November 2015
    It's in good enough shape that they had been up until as far as I know actively marketing it for occupancy and/or redevelopment, so I assume it was structurally sound.

Now I'm interested in the buildings history. May have to look it up on the Sanborn maps to see if they have any label for what it was originally. Assume given its location on the tracks and its high ceilings it was a warehouse, but for what I have no idea.