General Lansing Development

Comments

• The Beer Grotto in the Stadium District at the corner of Cedar and Michiganhas closed. No reason is given, but it would seem that the Lansing Brewing Company being a few blocks away certainly didn't help. The irony is that Gillespie owns both buildings. Probably need some more residents before they could support two similar businesses so close. While I was out, today, it really became apparent to me, for instance, how the empty lot at the southeast corner of Larch and Michigan sticks out. That's owned by Pat's brother Scott. I'd really like to see them fill this spot, and it would help all the businesses on Michigan, there.
  • edited December 2016
    Not super shocked that Beer Grotto closed. I went there maybe 6 or 7 times and it never seemed to be too busy even at peak times. The one thing they had going for them was their outdoor patio set-up. Other than that, it was a pretty run-of-the-mill beer bar. When you're not actually brewing your own beer, there needs to be another way to brand yourself in a unique way.

I agree with you about the corner of Larch/Michigan. I am kind of shocked at the lack of gas stations downtown. While I think that corner could be better used for another development, I don't see why there hasn't been a gas station built somewhere downtown that can be accessed by northbound Larch and southbound Cedar somewhere between Grand River and Kalamazoo. I'm probably only complaining because living downtime, getting gas and groceries always seems to be a hassle.
  • While I never went to the Beer Grotto diving by I had often thought they could have done better separating the nice looking patio from the racing traffic on Cedar. I think these beer oriented places need to be known for good food as well. I have heard that the Lansing Brewery does have really good food, I had heard nothing about the food at the Beer Grotto. That may have played into the situation. I think there is a point of caution for the new brew and beer pubs in line to open. Unless it's going to be a just a bar, they had better offer something good to with the beer.

It has been discussed here before, but the Cedar/Larch corridor is really a high speed highway through the middle of our downtown. It really is just a few miles from Kalamazoo to E. Grand River, why couldn't we slow down the traffic in the downtown area, do we have to speed through downtown at 45 to 50 mph. I also think these streets could both be two way streets, then a business there may have a better chance of success. If you are in the pack racing down the street and you want to make a turn it's kind of tricky, I've seen a couple of rear end collision on those streets.
  • Here here on slowing the roads, friend.
  • I grew up along this corridor, and I was really disappointed that they decided to raise the speed limit to 40 MPH a few years back. Generally, I'm kind of ambivalent about the idea of raising speed limits to the speed traffic actually travels at. But, in a downtown area, I think it smart to be fairly strict about limits. At the corner the Beer Grotto was in in particular, my mom told me she'd be afraid to sit out on the patio the way the street curves slightly and how the traffic comes down the tiny hillock. Nothing has happened at that corner in my memory, but it just seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

And, in general, Lansing simply needs more pedestrian crosswalks. I've always been surprised there aren't more simply because it costs just about nothing to paint a few lines and put up a few signs on a road to get people to pay attention and slow down, if even only slightly.
  • In East Lansing, not Lansing, but I have emailed or tweeted several times now trying to tell the city and state DOT (which actually owns the road) how badly a crosswalk is needed near Kensington on Michigan Ave especially, and in spots between Harrison and the interstate (a 1.5 mile cross-walk free stretch!) generally. I would guess at least a couple hundred people cross Michigan Ave at that spot on Kensington everyday, there are busy bus stops on both sides of the road, you know how that works - either on your going, or returning, trip, you're on the wrong side of the road. With 800+ students only moving into Skyvue it will only get worse. That the area is poorly lit at night is a pedestrian-killing accident waiting to happen. Should be a no-brainer and yet, here we go. Maybe I should send a letter to LSJ. As it is I figure we might fix it after someone gets struck by a car.
  • The CATA CRT actually adds crosswalks just west and east of Kensington, so it seems that at least CATA knows that there is a problem there. That's the other great thing about the BRT proposal, it actually addresses things besides the bus service, itself. In fact, there are a lot of crosswalks added in the plan in East Lansing along Michigan.
  • It's disappointing to see the Beer Grotto close, that space was empty for a long time before they filled it. I think the biggest problem in this area is parking, there needs to be a parking ramp south of the Stadium District building. As far as I know the old gas station property is owned by Pat Gillespie as it is promoted on Gillespie Group's site: 600 E Michigan

@David_Shane I agree with you on the need for a crosswalk (or two) on Michigan between Harrison and 127. I think the Red Cedar development will get a traffic light at Morgan and Michigan, so that should help also.
  • I would like to see more buffering between traffic and crosswalks at corners, somehow offering more protection for the pedestrians, making our city more walk-able. Maybe something like low planters on both sides and in the wedge of the corner where the sidewalks cross. Most of the crossings on streets like Cedar and Larch it can feel very exposed to the speeding traffic waiting to cross. I think of N. Grand River crossing Larch and Cedar, and S. Washington where it crosses 496 St. Joe and MalcolmX . A more pleasant and safer crossing would help to connect the eastern blocks of Old Town to the western blocks and REOtown with downtown.
    I am hoping they will tie pedestrian/bike trails and ways together so you could use the river trail to get to Frandor/Red Cedar. I would not even try to bike through Frandor as it is now, and walking is not safe, or pleasant.
  • The redevelopment of the School for the Blind is still on. They are waiting for a grant from MSHDA in February. The article goes into the whole other related issue of affordable housing in Lansing and the war between the mayor and the city council, which is quite extensive and doesn't much interest me because of how petty it is.