The Abbot & The Graduate (Park District)

Comments

• edited February 2017

I'm sure they'd still try to maximize the return, so instead of having housing in part of the building, they'd just use it for hotel space. On a site this small and valuable, you almost have to build up. I imagine if they do chop off some floors, however, we're probably only looking at two or three at the most. It's why most proposals for this corner have always been at least ten stories. It doesn't make much financial sense for anything much shorter.

• edited March 2017

Things that make you go, hmmmm....

This is certainly...interesting. lol The good:

EAST LANSING – In the latest revision to the Park District project, Convexity Properties is hoping to build a 13-story hotel and apartment complex with office space, a bank and even a grocer in downtown East Lansing.

The complex, proposed for the corner of Grand River Avenue and Abbot Road, would have 162 hotel rooms and 121 apartments. The site plan calls for two levels of parking above the lobby and 45,000-square-feet of office space on the fourth through eighth floors. The rooftop bar and pool present in previous versions have been scratched. Instead, there would be a bar and lounge on the fourth floor with an outdoor terrace.

A grocery store, bank and restaurant could be located on the first floor. Tenants have not been finalized, said Christopher Oakley, director of design of Convexity Properties.

If we could get a grocer in Park District and a Target in City Center, then we're cooking.

The two buildings of residential have also been combined into one:

• I am afraid this it the start or continuation of the dulling down process that always seems to happen to major projects here. Soon it will be just a parking ramp! just kidding

• Let it move forward! City Council is losing the forest for the trees.
  • edited April 2017

Is this yet another rendering, or simply from a different angle? This is from an article on the project in the LSJ, today.

EAST LANSING - Developers of the $154-million Park District project proposed in downtown East Lansing are asking the city to take a risk with its tax reimbursement plan.

Convexity Properties is seeking to be reimbursed $22 million over 22 years. It proposed the plan to the East Lansing Brownfield Redevelopment Authority on Thursday afternoon. The money would pay back the developer for site demolition, asbestos abatement and improvements to Albert Avenue.

However, Convexity wants the city to also pay $2.6 million of that up front to build a parking lot on Evergreen Avenue and to extend Albert Avenue to Valley Court. The city would be reimbursed by the brownfield plan as well. The money could possibly come from a bond, the general fund or the water and sewer fund.

The request caught some Brownfield Redevelopment Authority members off guard.

• Yeah I was wondering the same too. Looking at the rendering from March 21st, it's possible that is the view from Abbot and this new rendering is the view from Grand River, or vice versa.

• What makes me think that may not be the case is both have a median rendered in, and Abbot is not wide enough for a median. I'm also under the impression that the sides will look largely like a square when viewed from the west or east and most of the setbacks and such will be on the north and south frontages.

• Yes you are right... puzzling. I like both of them, so it is promising, but it seems that much can change between now and when/if they get shovels in the ground.

• Looking at them I'm pretty sure the they're both from roughly the same angle, the second one having a wider view and a slightly different design. The first rendering seemed a little unrefined, I didn't really like it too much, I think the newer one looks much better.

• I like this one better too. It seems to fit the space.