General Lansing Development

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Looks like a Maryland-based company called MedAssurant is expanding their Lansing operations, and will expand, moving from their smaller building on Pine Tree just outside of the city limits in Delhi Township, to Frandor Plus Shopping Center on Michigan Avenue where the new SoS SuperCenter just opened:
    Health care consulting firm Med-Assurant to add Lansing jobs

By Melissa Domsic / Lansing State Journal

Feb. 16, 2011

A Maryland medical consultant firm plans to hire up to 404 people in Lansing over the next five years as part of an area expansion.

Bowie, Md.-based Med-Assurant Inc. will be looking for workers with experience in fields ranging from nursing and medical coding to information technology and data analysis.

MedAssurant on Tuesday received approval for a five-year, $2.2 million state tax credit to expand into a vacant storefront at 3301 E. Michigan Ave. in the Frandor Plus Shopping Center in Lansing.

The company, which has an office in Delhi Township, uses data analysis to help health care insurers and providers improve management and financial performance.

MedAssurant plans to start hiring in the second quarter and expects to create about 250 jobs in the first two years.

"We're very excited about the proposed expansion here in Lansing," said Ann Parker, senior director of quality. "About half of (the jobs) would be nurses and certified coders, the other half would be operations, with a small amount of administrative support and IT support."

The Michigan Economic Growth Authority tax credit is contingent on the city of Lansing granting a 12-year personal property tax abatement. The company would save $183,000, based on an initial investment of more than $1 million.

In all, the company plans to invest about $4 million. It would move about 50 employees from its offices in Delhi Township and Pontiac. MedAssurant also would hire new employees with an average weekly wage of about $850, MEGA said in a statement.

If the company does not create at least 300 qualified new jobs in the fourth or fifth year of the credit, it would not receive the credit that year.
  • From the Capital Gains earlier this week:

NEO-Rendering.jpg
    8,600 square foot NEO Center set to open by June

Old Town resident invests more than $140,000 restoring historic gas station and home

The NEO Center is in an odd place for a commercial building, but it looks like it will end up looking pretty nice. I'm especially glad to see that little gas station renovated in Old Town, it's great to see that it wont be getting tore down.
  • edited March 2011
    He's been fixing up that gas station and adjacent house for some years, now, but it's really starting to come along. It was SUCH an eyesore. Now, if only something could be done with all of the abandoned properties near or at the corner of Grand River and Grand River/Seymour. I remember when every building in that area was occupied. It's kind of strange it fell into such disrepair because directly to the east in Old Town which has been revitalizing forever, and directly to the west is the Walnt and Old Forest neighborhoods which have seen a lot of rehabs throughout the last decade.
  • The LSJ and the City Pulse are reporting on a surprise trip by Bernero to India at the invitation of some major company, there. No one quite seems to know whether this is just your run-of-the-mill trade trip, or he has something lined up or at least a good shot of lining something up. It'd be great if he could bring some manufacturing over to some of these large brownfields.
  • edited March 2011
    Passed by East Village, this evening. Haven't stopped in there in awhile but I notice that Allen Edwin Homes has already started construction on new homes after the site hadn't seen a new housing start in many months. They are starting some units at the top of the hill with the land being dug up, and I saw a frame nearly done at the southeast corner of the site.

It looks to be that they are using a totally different design, though I'm not completely sure since it was so far off and I was driving. It looks like they are going with your typical suburban, vinyl-sided housing. I hope that's not the case given that the former designs of the homes were a good step above the cheap tract housing you'd find somewhere out in Delta Township.

EDIT: Yeah, got a closer look. They are going with your typical suburban tract home design. Meh. I guess a little variety won't hurt. When the neighborhood matures through the years, it should be a nice mix.
  • Davenport University To Close Some Michigan Campuses

Davenport is closing a few of it's campuses to the benefit of others. Luckily Lansing will be one of the campuses that will see an expansion. I would love to see Davenport build a new building downtown.
  • edited March 2011
    Some relatively good news from the Census. Lansing's population fell 4.0% over the decade to 114,297, which is better than what their estimates showed (4.5%), and it's a notable slowdown from the 6.4% we lost over the 90's. It shows we're stemming the outflow, finally. The Census bureau had kind of stupidly estimated East Lansing to have fallen in population over the decade (-2.1%) when we all knew with the annexation it had grown. The count found the population to have actually rose 4.2% to 48,579.

The region also grew more than had been anticipated by the Census estimates. We'd only been predicted to have grown 1.3% over the decade, and actually grew 3.6%. Clinton County grew far faster than predicted. I believe they were actually the fastest growing county in the state, which was kind of unexpected.

All and all, the region did better than expected and better than much of the rest of Michigan.
  • The figures are unsurprising to me. The Census was being too pessimistic on the figures for the Lansing area. In the next census I wouldn't be surprised to see Lansing hold steady or even gain population. Clinton county growing faster than predicted should be expected also. The north side of the city has been underdeveloped and as development sprawls too far to the south, east and west we'll probably see Clinton county grow a lot.

BTW, did you see how much Detroit's population fell? A 25% fall in 10 years is just amazing. Hopefully they're nearing the bottom.
  • Forgot to mention that Ingham County also registered a tiny increase but an increase nonetheless. First increase since the 80's.

Yeah, saw Detroit's number. I've been following this stuff closely for years, and I call bullshit on Detroit losing a full fourth of its population in the decade. The worst case estimate by that region's planning bureau had a loss of about 20%, which seemed about right, but 25% just seems like poor counting on the part of the Census. I expected to loss to be huge, but 25% is a bit much.

BTW, Metro Lansing has 464,036 up 3.6% from 453,603 in 2000. Shiawassee County was the only county in this area to lose population. Hell, even Jackson County was slightly up, again.
  • I suspect that the Detroit count is way off. Many people in Detroit are distrustful of the governments motives, plus there is a huge homeless population (over fifty thousand would not be too many).