Accident Fund Headquarters (Ottawa Street Station Redevelopment)

Comments

• It's surprising how different it looks without the stack and letters on it.
  • Heres a story on The Grand Building, to be razed for this development: Grand Building items go on block

The article says that the building will likely sit vacant until work picks up in the fall. I sure hope to start seeing some real progress on this development by late this year, or even early next year.
  • I was hoping to see real progress, at least in terms of site prepartion, much sooner than that. I can't imagine why we wouldn't be seeing some kind of site clean-up and grading this summer/fall, especially to beat Michigan's freezing winter weather which prevents a lot of construction-related work (i.e. concrete pouring, grading, etc...) We can see what winter can do to major construction projects; just look at MSP.
  • I went to the "tag sale" today at the Grand building. I realize that building has been modified over and over again, but wow it was a maze in there. I mean, I went up one set of stairs, down a hallway, through an office, and around corner to get to the sale, then down a different set of stairs, down several more hallways to get to the other part of the sale. There was a big hodge podge of stuff there, but nothing for me really.

From what I saw though, the building is mostly empty. There were a few offices here and there that still had stuff in them, but it was pretty obvious that anyone that was still there was packing up and getting ready to head out of Dodge.
  • Here is a picture similar to the two LMich posted with and without the stack. Except this one now also shows the sign is gone.

2375948076_913396c3bd_b.jpg
  • edited July 2008
    Here is an updated design for the Accident Fund headquarters:
    bilde?Site=A3&Date=20080702&Category=NEWS03&ArtNo=807020378&Ref=AR&Profile=1004&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

Redevelopment proposal would retain look of Ottawa Power Station

Developer Christman Co. would oversee the work and own the building. The vision, which is expected to become a reality by 2011, would turn the 200-foot-tall power plant into a nine-story office building. Except for the addition of a few windows, the exterior of the structure would remain largely intact.

The more dramatic changes occur inside the building, where a new steel floor structure would be built, and immediately to the north of the plant, where a 101,000-square-foot, four-story building sheathed in glass would be built.

The two structures would be connected by a 5,000-square-foot, four-story atrium that would serve as the main entrance to the complex.

• Ottawa Power Station to be converted into a nine-story, 227,000-square-foot office tower

• A four-story, 101,000-square-foot office building is to be built immediately to the north of the plant.

• A 1,000-space parking structure is slated to be built on the north end of the 7-acre site, at Shiawassee Street and Grand Avenue.

And here is a link to the video of the building: Accident Fund fly through
  • Funny, I just emailed Christman the day before last asking for info on the project and complaining that no information has been available, hopefully she at least emails me some larger renderings.

Overall I'm happy with what I can see of the plan, but I'll hold off on my opinion until I see more details, like larger renderings and a siteplan.
  • City Pulse article: This old power plant

They have 3 or 4 additional renderings, all too small to make much of. The article does give quite a bit of information though.
  • edited July 2008
    I've already changed some of it, and will change the rest when I leave here.

I watched the video and can I just say, excuse my French, that this is the sh%t? My favorite part is that like in the current station, most (if not all) of the floors will not go to the edges of the building which gives you floating office lofts for each floor. I loved that!

My only complaints are that I'd wish they'd stuck with the original concept of the plan and stretched the 4-story annex length-wise to create a real river "canyon" feel for the complex, and that the parking garage doesn't seem to have been fleshed out, yet. Given that it will now be developed by Christman and not the city, they won't be required to put any retail on the ground floor, and I really wish that be a requirement for ALL new garages, downtown.

BTW, my dream would have been if they'd took out part of the front of the station an added a General Motors-styled winter garden on the river. That would have been something to witness at night from across the river.

Hood, I never get back anything from Christman, either. I used to years ago, but now they don't even send anything back saying that they won't be giving out information. I never understand companies that didn't even bother to respond to approve or deny your request.

080702AFdominant.jpg

080702AFexterior.jpg

080702AFgrandave.jpg

080702AFatrium.jpg