General Lansing Development

Comments

• The "comic shop" building is converting the second floor into loft apartment(s). I can't remember if there are one or two going in. They're also remodeling the ground floor level to include a garage in the back. While this will take some of my good friends storage space in the back, he doesn't mind so much.
  • Those lofts above the comic shop are being marketed as for-sale condos, too, which is interesting. I don't know of any others on Washington (although there are some over on the 600 block of Michigan near the mission).
  • I'm really glad to see those last few buildings in the 100 block be rehabbed, especially Kellys.
  • As far as I know, the owner is selling off the building in pieces, with the owner of my friends comic shop probably purchasing the lower floor under land contract.
  • edited August 2007
    I recently learned that Old Town is entered in a video contest by Ikea. Its called Small Businesses, Big Dreams. Entries are supposed to tell about the community, promote the businesses, share your visions, and show off the storefronts. The video voted most creative will win a team of designers who will help to transform the interior space of up to 10 businesses. Old Town is currently leading, with 3,387 votes! Buts its only 262 more then the next closest. I think everyone here should vote! It only takes a second to register and do it, plus the contest ends in just 3 more days! Here's the link: http://ikea.shycast.com/contest/1/
  • edited August 2007
    Old Town came in first place in the Ikea contest.
    The artsy Lansing commercial district finished in first place in the public vote portion of retailer Ikea's "Small Businesses, Big Dreams" contest. That vote makes up 30 percent of the final tally in the race to win a $50,000 "Main Street makeover" from the iconic Swedish home furnishings retailer.

It will be about two weeks before the final winner is announced, said a message posted Thursday on Ikea's Web site.
    Congratulations to Old Town, and I hope that they win the judging part of the contest.

Old Town Eagerly Waits for Ikea Call
  • I can't remember if I've already posted this, but the last three storefronts along the 200 block of South Washington Square are finally getting their facades improved, or at least taking off the silly looking "modernized" facades. They include the building that houses Kelly's (bar), Byblos (a lunch counter), and Clem's, which has had it's modernized facade removed the longest of the three.
  • Looks like Old Town won the judging part of the contest too for anyone that hadn't heard. That's great news. They get the $50,000 makeover for winning first place.
  • Plus, $5,000 directly in cash (to the organization, that is).

BTW, I've always wondered how long it would take Beaner's to change their name, knowing they'd be expanding into the West. It looks like the time has come. Personally, living in Michigan, anyway, I'd never heard the term used as a slur (even as a minority, myself), but found out how prevelant the word is used in other parts of the country as a slur. I must say, I've always seen the need for a name change; it's the responsible thing to do. But, Biggby? All of that money they spent on marketing and that's the name they came up with?

Beaner's to drop name some see as derogatory
  • Looks like we are seeing the first serious progress on the new CADL/Impression 5 project. City Pulse Story: Growing the Library LSJ Story :CADL to consider expansion tonight

It says the Main Library would jump from 73,000 to 101,000 sq ft, and Inpression 5 would jump from 30,000 to 37,000 sq ft. All I can say is that I hope they find a way to build a bigger Impression 5, something at least 50,000 sq ft with tall floors and plenty of open space, or at least design the buildings to be expandable.