Picture of the Day

Comments

• edited June 2008
    Looking over the center of downtown. The building in the foreground seems to have been vacant for some time, and it's never talked about for whatever reason.

2623461642_e27004b34a_o.jpg

Midtown

2622696193_f671b99250_o.jpg
  • LMich, the building in the foreground is the Walter Neller building, if I am correct. I believe Walter Neller died years ago and the building has sat ever since.
  • edited June 2008
    Couldn't remember the name, but I'm pretty sure that's it. I have no history on it besides what I can pull up on the property look-up site on the city website. Whatever it's history, it has been a dead spot along Grand Avenue for some time, but for whatever reason there is never any talk of it, or even rumors or whispers. If there was some development plan for it and the parking lot immediately to the north the difference for Grand Avenue would be night and day.

EDIT: Just looked up the building on the property look-up site, again, and it was constructed in 1938 and has a little over 25,000 square feet. Walter Neller Enterprises sold the building to Summit Partners of Lansing in 1997, and I guess the company changed their name to Summit Associates in 2005, because it shows another transfer in that year. Who Summit Associates is, I do not know, but they are located on 6267 Aurelius Road, which sounds WAY in the southwest part of the city. Searching the net I found that 6267 is the location of Granger Construction...

2622696199_2b105072b1_o.jpg
  • Whatever goes on that lot adjacent to there needs to be of significant height, at least 15 floors. I had always hoped to see that Walter-Neller building tore down to make way for another high-rise.
  • Maybe I'll shoot Bob and email to ask him if this is even on the city's radar.
  • Anyone know how long that building has been vacant?
  • Well, I know that my Dad worked out of that building up until around 1994.
  • What exactly was the Walter Neller Company, anyway?

Four Corners

2623461652_391587cd52_o.jpg
  • I think they were a real estate agency.
  • Here's an old photo looking east towards Sparrow Hospital to show just how much the new tower and Stadium District have added to the view, above.

77310495_327dd1eb45_o.jpg