New Businesses

Comments

• Welcome thecommish!

I never really went t, or even noticed that store but I've been hearing people talk about it closing. It sucks that it closed but the little bookstores can't make it anymore, even the community newscenter in Frandor is closing.
  • Every time I visited I was literally the only person in the store. I think that if there were more people living just off the square (on the side streets) it would be able to support mainstream retail. There are simply not enough people living on the square, nor the needed amount of regular shoppers to support many types of business along the square at the current time.
  • glad to hear from you thecommish!

I live 5 buildings down from Capital City Book Store and was also really sad to see it go. I bought 6 or 7 books there since I moved downtown, and I saw a few people in there every now and then. But it was often pretty empty. When they put up the store closing sign I talked with one of the employees and she said that another bookstore somewhere downtown had went under not long ago and that small bookstores just can't make it right now. Frankly, I don't think they advertised well (if at all). They had an AMAZING magazine selection, but no one knew they existed. Also, they were only opened 9-5ish and like LMich said there aren't enough people living in the area (YET) to support things like this.

This is why I am very excited about the Capitol Club Tower, because just as much as I want a new high rise to go up, I want to get more people living downtown. Once there is a large enough regular population in the area, things other than clubs and bars will be able to survive.
  • Yeah, I will miss them. Especially after the closing of Waystation Books that just to be just across the block up the street. I mean, I always enjoyed Community News out in Frandor (which, ironically is also going out of business *fumes*), but it was finally good to have something closer to home.

You know, sometimes I don't know if we're taking more steps forward than we are backwards. What I do see happening, though, is that new retail will probably most concentrated on the eastbank of the Grand in the up-and-coming Stadium District neighborhood that streches from Saginaw to Kalamazoo, that is, if Washington Square is allowed to continue to stagnant in terms of retail. There needs to be some kind of new anchor retail structure built on the south square or somewhere right off of it, if you ask me.
  • I've often thought the Knapps would make an awesome Target, like the one in downtown Minneapolis (I think its their flagship store)...

unfortunately, the cost to control that building are a small fraction of the issues when you look into the cost to redevelop, parking issues, and demographic issues for that kind of user.
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/paytonc/319476084/in/set-72157600175214277/

thats what i'm talking about
  • lancity:

That picture just floored me. If only!
  • i know, its even got the curved corner like the Knapps... my imagination just runs wild!
  • It's important to point out that the downtown Capital City Books and Community Newscenter are owned by the same person. It's not a coincidence that they're both closing.

Obviously the model they were running wasn't working in either the downtown or Frandor markets.
  • I didn't know they were owned by the same person, I wonder if there is more to the story?