New Businesses

Comments

• I wonder if Capital City Books drained Community Newscenter, because CN was doing seemingly well before they branched out to downtown Lansing.
  • Right, and they had lasted at Frandor for a real long time. I was just in there about a month ago and there were a couple other shoppers in there too. Business was slower than Barnes and Noble in East Lansing, but still better than some other businesses. I wonder if the move of Barnes and Noble from Okemos to East Lansing was a big enough hit to be noticed by Community Newscenter?
  • I really don't think that had much to do with it to tell you the truth. It's not exactly if the move B&N pulled that many customers from Community Newscenter. Despite it's mall-like location, Community Newscenter is one of those stores that served as a local "neighborhood" bookstore, so it had a pretty loyal customer base. I think if any of the big names really had any significant impact on it it would have been the creation of Schuler's at Eastwood.
  • I actually talked several times with fellow who owns (owned) the two bookstores in question before he moved in downtown, and he was optimistic that he could build a regular crowd to pick up magazines on their lunch hour, and then grow into more steady book business once the high rise went up, and the Stadium Club and other various lofts downtown filled up. I guess it just couldn't happen fast enough for him.

I THINK he might also have owned the Community Newscenter that used to be on the west side of Lansing, in the same building that housed the old Frank's Nursery. The only thing that's there now that I can think of is a Chinese buffet. That store was history within months of B&N's move into the Lansing Mall.

I also am really hoping for more "casual" retailers downtown like bookstores, video stores, grocery, to serve all the eventual residents from these different projects. If the bookstore is any indication, though, I guess we have to be careful not to put the cart before the horse.
  • I'd like to see a small electronics store, even a RadioShack, somewhere downtown, as well as a gym-shoe store like Foot Locker since there are already dress shoe stores, downtown, an urban-format (i.e. storefront) Quality Dairy, and a old-fashioned video game arcade. I'd also like to see a small movie theater, downtown, something 4 or 5 screens in size, since movie theaters pull such a diverse demographic.

Here's the relatively Rave Theater in downtown Kalamazoo:

http://www.ravemotionpictures.com/theaters/mi_cityplace.html
  • The new Jamaican restaurant downtown is AMAZING!!!

I read the article tonight and went right out and had dinner there!

http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1963&Itemid=29

Menu:
    Jerk Chix
    Curry Chix
    Baked Chix
    Brown Stew Chix
    Oxtail
    Stew Beef
    Curry Goat (I got this and loved it)
    Beef or Chix Pattie
    Curry Shrimp
    Escovietched Fish
    Jerk Salad

Jamaican Soda (I got pineapple and it was great)
    Ginger Beer
    Ting

Sides:
    Fried Plantains
    Cabbage and Garrots (great)
    broccoli and carrots
    mixed veggies
  • I haven't eaten there, but I did briefly talk with the owner, he was just walking around promoting about 2 weeks ago.
  • Yeah, I rode by on my bike and am thinking about stopping in sometime soon to pick up some Jerk Chicken. I hope it's pretty spicy.
  • I have had the Oxtail, Curry goat, and Jerk Chicken... the Oxtail is so far my fav.
  • Here's a LSJ article on the boat rental/resturaunt place near Cherry Hill Park: Venture would bring kayaking, entertainment along Grand River

It finally gives an exact location, a vacant lot on the northwest corner of Hillsdale and River. I looked at the aerial view of the lot, it seems like an odd location, but I still wish this business the best of luck.