Red Cedar Renaissance

Comments

• MJ sent me a written apology, seems like he has some issues and was using this forum to work on them [I guess]. I don't blog or twitter much and this negative kind of thing really surprises me when it happens. I get a little more shook up than I should as it is impossible to know the motivation of the anonymous person posting negative things. Maybe this happens all the time online, the only other thing I used to post about was potholes etc. on seeclikfix.com but stopped when someone decided they could give me a critique on my personality based on my pothole posts! I realize my posts may not be profound or even interesting but I thank everyone here for indulging them. It really is the first time in my life where I had a place to talk about Lansing and development and I really enjoy being part of the discussions here.

• @gbdinlansing don't sweat it. You and I are similar in that we love Lansing and are interested in discussing development, even if we're not as involved in the process.

• MJMJ
    edited February 2019

Existing site w/ Skyvue drawn in....

• Phase 1 - Park Improvements: make it a public park w/ walking trails, one-of-a-kind playground, splash pad, picnic shelters, athletic fields by the towards the 'student' end of the park, amphitheater, water features courtesy of the drain project. The existing clubhouse could be an welcome center, or event center ($$$), or cafe, or children's museum, or nature center, or outdoor winter equipment rental and hot cocoa lounge.....

All of this could be phased over time as resources become available. MDNR money is always available for this kind of project. I'd bet we could get $5 million over 5 years and build out a lot of this. MSU might even pitch in if it becomes a student-amenity.

• MJMJ
    edited February 2019

Phase 2: Green / Public Infrastructure - City of Lansing can partner with EL, Lansing Township, Ingham Co, and FRANDOR owners and future developers to pool money for green infrastructure and pedestrian improvements throughout Frandor and the larger area... Drain commissioner's project would overlap a lot with this work.

• Phase 3: Private Development - the way things are going w/ skyvue and downtown EL, there will naturally be more large scale residential/mixed use development in this area. The real-estate is too valuable to not build upwards.

• MJMJ
    edited February 2019

Phase 4: Upscaling - The development team that is working on the Red Cedar project could have first opportunity and incentive to develop the same, or an expanded program (senior housing, office space, hotel) at properties adjacent to the new park. These are sites that are easier to develop then the golf course, anyway. Plus, they would now have views into the park and green artery to the south versus the alternative of looking out onto Sears.

This wouldn't need to be thought of as an abandonment of the Red Cedar project, it would just be a redirection. It would be great to have developers on deck, eager to build out this new city center. This should be a win-win-win for everyone who's been involved in this project for the last ten years --- from the property owners in the area, to the developers and the city agencies -- a lot of energy has gone into this already.

• Phase 5: Sustainable Growth - Strict, but forward-thinking urban design standards will establish a clear vision for continued growth. Ideally this would be coupled with major advancements in the public transit system, especially in this immediate area as it is a major regional hub.

• MJMJ
    edited February 2019

Phase 6: NEW CITY - All this new activity, retail, nightlife, family activity will make things that are currently hard to imagine -- like a 25-story tower, or infill next to 127, or a walkable Clippert street -- hopefully start to become a real possibility.

• MJ, these are really cool designs and a good idea. Thanks for sharing them. I think the major holdup in this area is Lansing Township, who isn't really thinking with an urban/walkable mindset. It really would be great if this stretch of Lansing Township could get absorbed by either Lansing or East Lansing.