General Lansing Development

Comments

• edited March 2022
    I was under the impression this (parking lot sell) passed the other night; looks like it's just a public hearing for it from the article. In any case, I don't see anything that could get in the way of this. The city is actively looking to unload property, and there doesn't appear to be any other buyers, so I'm not skeptical of motives. I think it's really just him finally revealing the plans for the building with the sale looking to go through.
  • Perhaps, I just find it odd that he's casually throwing around two drastically different concepts that both happen to be company headquarters. I'm also really curious who's considering the 40k sq ft building there, maybe Neogen? I'm racking my brain for other companies that might need a space that size but I guess there could be more than a few candidates that I'm not aware of.
  • edited April 2022
    A little thing, but the city will be purchasing a little lot (44 x 99) for $1 from the Land Bank at the S Grand and E Hazel in Riverpoint to expand Riverpoint Park. The old house that was on it (circa 1900) was apparently torn down last year, and the city's policy is to turn land in the floodplain to a less intensive use, so this makes sense.

a8dukibuhjs0.png

Here's the location with the 100-year flood plain overlain:

6vbowkckcd6w.png

This is of interest to me, because I remember when I'd regularly use this part of the river trail this house, specifically. I was always surprised how it wasn't fenced off from the park or trail from what I can remember. Sad to see a little part of my youth god, but also realizing it's for the best. Also sounds like the city is interested in planting trees on the lot that thrive in river environments, so that's a plus, too.

If anyone ever wants to visit the park, and can't do it by the river trail, there is a TINY parking lot at the east end of Hazel Street, down there. This little area at the confluence of the two rivers is kind of tucked away, but with a lot of little interesting points to take in nature.
  • https://austin.towers.net/take-a-virtual-tour-of-the-texas-capitol-complex/

Looks like Austin is building something reminiscent of Lansing’s Capitol Complex (even down to the name), complete with a pedestrian mall and underground parking.

Meanwhile, Lansing’s pedestrian mall sits largely unused and languishing. The mayor and other leaders really need to put the pressure on now that the state has abandoned downtown. The least they could do is release their death grip on those lots.

Hopefully the new Capitol visitor center can spur some activity.
  • edited April 2022
    I can't find the article, but like two or three weeks ago the state for the first time announced actual plans to turn the area between the Hall of Justice and the Capitol Complex into a park. This has been a concept for years, but that's the first time I'd heard the state go to the media about it.

I've been thinking for some time that they should start holding markets and events on the actual capitol complex, though.
  • @MichMatters I've looked and can find nothing on it, I assume it must have been part of that $4.8 billion bill that included $500 million for parks? If they end up taking out the parking lots west of the Ottawa and Hannah buildings then it will be a truly transformative project, if they're just using the existing greenspace then it will be nice, but not as significant. This is something I'm excited to learn more about.
  • lol Yeah, those rain gardens look pretty goofy right now. I'm not wrong in my assumption that they are going to do plantings in all these along with in Ranney Park, am I?
  • I don't think so? I'm fine with them, though. I love with breaking up some of the asphalt.
  • Agreed, even a little greenspace is an improvement over solid asphalt but they really need trees in these things along with some other plants. It probably wouldn't hurt to add some decorative fencing or boulders around them as well as the sides look steep right from the curb and it appears they'll hold a decent amount of water somewhat consistently, not good for a wandering toddler. In fact, getting out of your car from one of those parking spots right next to there could be a bit precarious if you're not paying attention.