General Lansing Development

Comments

• edited August 2022
    I've kind of avoided it because I'm not sure what should and should not be worthy of its own thread. I think it kind of got out of hand in the other direction. Maybe some kind of physical size or dollar amount or something could be informally used to decide. Like, IMO, we wouldn't want a thread for every four-story suburban hotel going up around the metro, but what's the other end of that?
  • I heard a radio news report that stated the funds for the Walter French project have been approved, which is great news. It will be good to see the building full of people and activities.
  • There is an interesting artical about the old West Saginaw downtown district in the City Pulse this week. I was just over there checking out some homes for sale and noticed a sold sign on the old furniture storefront. Seems like a few things are going on in that area, they also talk about what was there in the old days. Fix the traffic pattern and this could be a cool Old Town/REOtown type neighborhood.
  • edited September 2022
    Mildly interesting article about the Walter Neller building at the southwest corner of Allegan and Grand. I say mildly interesting because there is nothing much new to the story or any changes in what the problem is, so it's interesting in that it's being given some light, again.

https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/stories/the-neller-building-dilemma,23065

20220921-161749-photo1.tif.jpg

At the end of the day, the city can not force them to redevelop the building, but the city also is (rightfully) loathe to pressure them to demolish it as they know it'd become another parking lot, which they are against. If I were the mayor and council I'd 1. see how much it's worth and then perhaps purchase it to sell to someone who would build on that property or 2. look behind the seens as a broker to get it sold to someone who'd build on the property. The first option, of course, isn't the preferable one, but there are not a lot of options, here.

It's really a shame for this entire half of this block a block from the capitol to either be used for parking and dilapidated building which has sat empty for what has to have been two decades, now. The other problem, I think, is that whatever is built here is going to have to be susbstantial to maximize such an incredible location. So, you're going to need a big developer...which is ironic since that who the Grangers are.

In any case, to call this corner - and that whole stretch of Grand, really - an embarrassing eyesore is kind of an understatement. Grand going two-way there, I hope, makes the property a bit more valuable and gets new eyes on it.
  • An Obsolete Property Rehabilitation Act District is being asked for the northeast corner of Michigan & Marshall where there are currently two old medical office buildings and a parking lot. Unfortunately, someone forgot to post the council and committee packets, this week, so I have no idea what the plan is for this corner. There is also a brownfield plan up for some parcels along the south side of West Saginaw near MLK. This appears to be the old bank building and the building next to it. I heard a coffee company is moving their operations to the building.
  • I'm hoping the Michigan & Marshall thing ends up being another apartment/mixed-use building, it'd seem pretty logical. Both properties are owned by Michigan Certified Development Corp on Coolidge Rd, but that doesn't provide much insight.

I may have missed someone else posting this but the City Pulse had an article on the new owners intentions for the Park Furniture buildings on Saginaw, in that article they mentioned multiple other buildings being worked on in the area, I imagine the brownfield plan is one of those mentioned: https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/stories/back-on-the-block-west-saginaw-street-lansing,23053?
  • Gb talked about it a few posts up.
  • Looks like the West Saginaw brownfield will be Moneyball Inc.'s new headquarters and retail store. It includes the white building and the adjacent parking lot in this shot:

v63tu8fph5k9.png

The current building on site will be demolished and a new 1-story building built in its place (of approximately the same size, it sounds like). Seems like a missed opportunity. Nothing along walkable district like this shouldn't have upper floor dwelling units or office space, quite frankly. But that's what this project is.
  • edited October 2022
    For the brownfield plan for the properties at the northeast corner of East Michigan and Marshall, it sounds like the showroom at 1717 will be renovated as a company headquarters including a conference/training room, and the small structure immediately to the east at 1723 will be demolished and the parcel be used as an outside working area for the building at 1717. The building at the corner at 1703 will apparently be leased or sold away.

fq6o2cdkwbep.png

bmomd7b4gz4v.png

I don't like to complain, but the lack of imagination - especially along our major corridors - is so deflating. I guess the good thing in this case is that the corner can still be developed into something appropriate for the area, but why does it have to be an after-thought? I don't mind an office usage along East Michigan on upper floors, but it should definitely be secondary or incidentially/accessory to a more active usage along the street.
  • I agree that neither of this are terribly exciting. Regarding the project on Michigan, if a company wants to reuse a building like that for the HQ that's fine and all but it's probably not worthy of property tax credits. I think property tax credits need to come with caveats that encourage or force certain aesthetic and site design standards. No property tax credits for stuff like this, or the dealership on Michigan or the poorly laid-out apartment proposal at MLK & Hillsdale.

I'm less against the Moneyball one because of just how far gone the area currently is and they will actually be replacing a building. As long as the new building has an appropriate design (such as not being a suburban office park-style building with a pitched roof, or not having an all concrete block facade), I'm content seeing them get tax credits.