Capitol Club Tower (Proposed high rise condos!!!)

Comments

• edited May 2007
    BTW, the project is being done by Shawn Elliott of Diamonds In The Rough Development (http://www.lansingproperties.net/), who has done projects, downtown, such as the renovation of the Ranney (208 S. Washington), 109 S. Washington (Capitol Pharmacy), 303 S. Washington (Cottage Inn Pizza Building), and 402 S. Washington (across from the Arbaugh).

The other developer is Allen Drouare of NeoPhase Properties (http://www.neophaseproperties.com/), who's done projects in REO Town, such as the renovation of the Danzo Building and Gordon Building along the same block as the Cadillac Club.

The architect is David VaderKlock of Studio Intrigue Architects (http://www.studiointrigue.com/) who did Stadium District.

So, there is experience, here. It will be interesting to see if they can pull of their first high-rise project, though.
  • The city council will vote Monday night to decide to sell the parking ramp.
  • Yeah, it's to decide if they want to put it on a ballot. I'm almost certain they will, and even more certain that when voters go to the polls in August that they will vote to sell it, just like they did overwhelmingly for the part of the Ottawa Street Station that sticks out into the Grand.

It's funny, though, because I didn't see it in next week's agenda.
  • edited May 2007
    Here are some photos of the sites that will be effected I took Sunday, and some general areas around the site. The commentary is for a few other sites if it seems strange.

Off along Grand Avenue, which paralells the Grand River, removed from the core lies a district populated by parking lots and office buildings. Along this route lies the former Lansing City Club building, constructed in 1861, which is to be demolished for a 12 to 20 story condo tower known as 219 Grand. It, and its historic neighbor, are wedged between the Brustalist South Grand Parking Structure and the 15-story Grand Tower, a state office building.

506923486_7cba8f9d15_o.jpg

Here, you can see the two over a series of parking lots. The building on the right (name unknown) was constructed in 1915, but updated so many times since then you may as well refer to its as a new building.

506976347_d40642b55d_o.jpg

Behind all of these buildings and structures lies the westbank of the Grand River in an embarrassing state. You'd never know the river was behind, here, if you didn't know anything about the city. The area is used as a backhouse for each of these structures, and includes strange trails. Some of these structures overhang the river, at parts, and the homeless leave beneath these, along with an assorment of river animals (i.e. beavers, muskrats, ....)

506979254_082f1b53c9_o.jpg

506979248_7e9dd720d6_o.jpg

A strange area behind the City Club of unknown usage.

506979258_f31b36c1bb_o.jpg

The back of the South Grand Parking Structure built into and overhanging the Grand River.

506979262_a071f6a9f7_o.jpg

Looking back southward the unremarkable Kalamazoo Street Bridge, currently be used as a stage for the sewer seperation project going on along Kalamazoo Street, west of the bridge.

506979272_2663a2b672_o.jpg

Behind the Grandview Plaza Office Building, also built directly into the bank of the river. A now closed boardwalk behind it offered a path to the neighboring parking garage.

507021319_49a9a908f0_o.jpg

The boardwalk below offered access to the river for fishermen. Now, it's used mostly as a summertime sleeping spot for the homeless who live along the river.

507021323_0259f15385_o.jpg

Along the east bank, and what I believe to be a former warehouse, the River Plaza Building was constructed in 1918, and renovated many times after that. Most recently, it's major tenant was the Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce, which is scheduled to move to the Stadium District just down the road when it is completed.

506979266_2644c9cee4_o.jpg

The River Trail and 'modernized' Michigan Avenue Bridge. I'd love to see this reconstructed to make it more visually appealing.

507021315_585f4115b4_o.jpg

The Riverwalk Theatre lies to the south.

507021307_2e4363a511_o.jpg
  • I just wanted to quote this paragraph from this weeks City Pulse regarding the developers intentions on this project:
    "They say they hope to start revamping the parking garage and putting in the foundations for the condo tower by the end of this year. After that, they’ll probably have to wait until they’ve sold about 50 percent of the condos before they can get the financing to actually put the tower up."

It appears they plan to move a lot quicker than I thought on this. This is one advantage of keeping projects "secret" for awhile, by the time their announced they are nearly ready to begin. WIth that being said I still expect considerable delays on the start date.

Lansing's Riverfront: What's the plan?
  • edited May 2007
    I didn't think it sounded that quick, personally, but that's because I forgot, when this was announced, that the city has to vote on selling the land.

I found this quote very interesting:

"One idea the two developers are toying with is opening up the parking ramp where Allegan meets Grand Avenue and lowering the grade so people on the street can see into the river, which sits about 15 feet below the riverbank.

That steep bank is what makes incorporating the river into the life of downtown Lansing so difficult, Johnson says. It’s a real issue because the steepness removes the river from view."

I doubt it will happen, but it would be great if it did. That would be one way of appeasing the developers and still opening up the sightlines.
  • Hi everyone. I just joined the discussion and also think that this would be a great project for Downtown Lansing. Its nice to see the momentum continue. I think the Mr. Elliot puts a lot of thought into his project and this looks like a very attractive building. You can tell from projects like the Ranney Building that cheapest options is not always the best option for Dimonds in the Rough. It creates some much needed character Downtown (not that the State of Michigan Buildings aren't architectural wonders....)

I think that having the parking structure on the same side of the road as the high rise is critical. Who is going to pay to live in a high rise and have to park across the street? Not me! And Lansing is certainly not a Chicago or New York were one does not need a car to get around.
  • Greetings, I'm new to the board and a long-time resident. I'm amazed at the rate of new development in Lansing and East Lansing, this is good news especially in these times. Stadium District, Sparrow Town, East Lansing - East Village, East Lansing - Valley Court, what have I missed?

Yes, the BWL monolith is not viable for developing, and if a plan ever surfaces to re-develop the land it should come down. With enough new people living downtown (and some luck) a Borders or a movie theatre could follow.
  • I really hope the old Ottawa Station to be an awsome redevelopment opprotunity. It will have to be put to mix of uses due to its size and varying floor sizes and celing heights. I think the biggest thing currently holding it back are the cooling towers that BWL refuses to remove.

BTW, welcome to the site, there has been quite a bit of additional activity lately thanks to all the new users, I really hope it continues.
  • The vote is today to decide to sell the parking ramp to the developers. I really hope that since it is privately owned, they don't use it for much longer than the city planned. My guess is that ten years down the road, after they have all the units occupied, they will tear down the parking lot for another building.