The Stadium District

Comments

• Coming down Michigan the other day, I couldn't help but to imagine what the street will look like when we have about four or five other Stadium District-type developments lining the Avenue in between Sparrow and the park. It would appear to me that the now-defunct Mobile gas station across the street will be the next dominoe to fall in that area.
  • I agree, and a good sign that the Mobile will likely be developed is the fact that it hasn't been reopened as a gas station. I see the area between Michigan & Shiwassee from Cedar to Penn to be redeveloped someday. I think we will likely see Michigan Ave itself get built out first, along with Pere Marquette. In fact I've ben toying in SketchUp with Pere Marquette, lining it with New York style row houses, and mixed use buildings lining Larch and Shiwassee.
  • Update (December 25, 2007):

2138558749_c78a941849_o.jpg

2138558753_e9d6e91464_b.jpg

2138558757_4a83cb9ff3_b.jpg

2139295424_326693f6cb_o.jpg

2138532759_96c79ae012_o.jpg
  • I'm glad you finally got some pictures of the progress on this, I keep procrastinating. Even with the building almost complete on the outside I still can't grasp what kind of impact it will have at the street level when the businesses all open. Also, with this building having interesting exterior lighting and a cool sign it should make for building that will be really nice when it is completely done.
  • Those first pictures look like you used a wide angle lens. Nice job capturing the building. I also am awaiting the neon "Stadium District" sign.
  • edited December 2007
    For the first one, I simply used a panning effect that came with my camera software. My camera is nothing more than a 5 MP Cannon Powershot. lol

Yeah, the marquee will be something, and the exterior lighting they turn on at night looks nice already.
  • Some pics from today of the Stadium District:

StadiumDistrict5.jpg

StadiumDistrict4.jpg

StadiumDistrict3.jpg
  • I had a chance to go by the site earlier this week -- I currently don't live in Lansing and remember parking there the last time I paid attention to that stretch. Anyway, it looks great and I think it has a lot of potential. I just hope there's going to be some solid, viable retail in there. Hopefully a restaurant / bar to keep the street activity higher during the evening / nighttime hours.

My only complaint right now is in regards to the windows on the corner turrets. Horribly small and not at all proportional -- they look off. That would have been a great spot for a big, NE facing bay window about twice the size of what they put in. I can imagine that would have been a great place to stand with a drink in hand before a game, watching the crowds go by below. And it would have helped with adding eyes on the street -- bar/restaurant, or not.

I guess you can't win them all.
  • I agree with you on the windows. As for the retail, there will be a bank, cofee shop and a bar/resturaunt. Supposedly the other 2-4 spaces are also leased, but I don't know for what.
  • Just FYI things are coming along nicely at the Stadium District, the cornices are nearing completion and they have begun putting up signage.