The Stadium District

Comments

• I'm especially glad to hear of a potential restaurant tenant. I can't wait to hear more on that.
  • I'm racking my brain trying to think of a Chicago area chain restaurant and bar, and can't come up with anything. Good news all around.
  • @MichMatters: The Cheesecake Factory?
  • Cheesecake Factory isn't a restaurant or bar, is it?
  • It's definitely a restaurant, however, it isn't a bar. BTW, the Cheesecake Factory isn't based out of Chicago.

The more I think about this, given the space constraints, the more I'm thinking it's something a bit more generic and locally-based in Chicago. Probably not a national chain.
  • edited September 2014
    Wasn't sure if this should go in the General Lansing Development thread or this one, but since the last conversation here was about the restaurant space, I found it fitting.

The LSJ is reporting that Beer Grotto will open in the Stadium District. They will lease 4,100-square-foot and offer 48 craft beers and 24 wines for tasting. It will also offer a lounge area.

I'm guessing that they are talking about the vacant space on the west side of the building, directly across the street from The Nuthouse.
  • Finally something in that space, now to see if it will succeed...
  • This happened a few days ago but wasn't posted here yet. A school bus (with no children on board) crashed in to the side of the Stadium District where the Beer Grotto was (they closed about 6 months ago I believe). The building suffered major structural damages and two apartments have been evacuated for safety concerns. It looks like it may take a while for full repairs.
  • I really think in may be time to think about slowing down the traffic on our downtown cross streets. How much longer would it take to get across town if the speed limit was lowered? Our corners should not be dangerous.

• edited September 2017

Jared, I was driving down that way literally minutes before this happened. I remember looking at the people sitting out on the patio back when the Beer Grotto was an operations and saying there would be no way I'd ever sit out there given how fast the traffic comes down the street, and then how you have a sort of abrupt turn right at the intersection. It's a sharp veer than it looks.

I agree with gb, having grown up on this street and having to try to cross it as a child, it's just crazy. And the crazy thing is that they actually increased the speed by 5 MPH a few years ago. And here's the thing, if you're going with traffic you're already going over the increased 40 MPH speed limit. Not only that, but since it moves so fast, I can't tell you how many times I've seen people wanting to turn east at Michigan not knowing that there is a left turn lane before they get to the intersection. I've been behind folks who nearly stop dead in their tracks and turn out of the further eastbound lane having not been able to get over to the turn lane.

BTW, from what's been reported, there was actually no damage to the actual supporting structure, and the two units above the crash were actually only temporarily evacuated. We were so lucky that there weren't kids on the bus and that the corner was occupied. That would have most certainly been a mass casualty situation.

Wieland has already come out and inspected and bordered up the "wound."