SkyVue on Michigan

Comments

• Seems that I got the whole steel thing backwards, and had a major brainfart forgetting the demand in the 2000-2010 decade. lol

That's an interesting article on wood. What I didn't see mentioned anywhere is kind of the obvious question I think would be one anyone's mind and that's how it holds up in fire. One of the huge selling points of concree early on was its fire resistence. I think just psychologically I could live in a high-rise primarily made of wood, but I'd think after 12 or so floors I'd be nervous all the time. lol Aside from fire, it'll be interesting to see how it would hold up against extreme weather like freeze-and-thaw cycles, tornados, earthquakes, etc. BTW, I just skimmed it, but did it mention a cost benefit, at all?
  • edited March 2016
    Public perception on the fire risks is sure to be a major limiting factor, but these buildings have fire suppression and concrete cores, I've read claims that with this cross laminated timber the charring on the outside can prevent the rest from burning. There's quite a few articles out there on this, I skimmed some and they do mention cost benefits, there are also the environmental benefits and the added marketability of being environmentally friendly and unique. I'm not sure wood framed high rises will ever be commonplace, but the possibility of them will add an interesting option for developers.

Some examples:
    CIRS.JPG

CLT3.JPG?itok=P8U10YEW

3.jpg
  • It is so cool to see an idea that has been in my head is actually a reality. Not that I am trying to say I thought of it. I have been thinking that wood is just "natural" for Michigan. I had not really thought about wooden sky scrapers. It seems like they are using wood as one component with other things like concert and steal.

My thoughts in regard to buildings in Lansing, imagine if all the "cheap looking" corrugated metal siding like on the new stadium apartments were wood, how great that would look. I could see big blond or red wooden blocks, or maybe even clapboards or shingles that have been glazed and polished. I'm thinking Scandinavian design, not log cabin, but even logs would be appropriate and even expected in Michigan buildings.
  • Yeah, from what I can gather the wood essentially takes the place of steel beams, concrete is still used for the building cores, foundation and sometimes the floors. I'm sure in taller CLT buildings concrete and steel may play a larger structural role.

I'd like to see more diversity in architecture around here for sure, finished wood is just one of the materials I'd like to see more of. On the Gillespie properties in particular just using various tiles rather than corrugated metal and fiber board and stone over the concrete block would've made their design so much more palatable, maybe even good. Perhaps the market in Lansing is just that tight where even using mediocre materials isn't financially feasible, but I doubt it. I just can't figure out if the people behind these subpar projects are shortsighted, making a cash grab or just plain stupid.
  • Up up up.

CdN4duLWEAEcSKv.jpg:large

Maybe strange, but I've been all focused on how tall the thing will be, was really struck today by how big it will be in the horizontal dimensions as well.
  • I believe the little guy you see on the right is on the 8th floor, by the way.
  • Will there be two more concrete sections added on top of the current cement towers?
  • edited March 2016
    Maybe three depending on how many of these go to the roof to access the mechanical penthouse(s).

BTW, who is the architect on this one? The developer has been front-and-center, but I have no idea who designed the building.
  • I think all of these towers are at 7 or 8 floors.

@Michmatters I think the architect is Niles Bolton.
  • edited March 2016
    It is going to be a really huge building, and I like that it is right up to the street.

I wonder if Sears would ever consider reviving the original building facade. The light bricks and sand stone panels along with the entrance canapes are all still there under the awful white and blue paint. I think it is the one building left in Frandor that has it's Mid-Century facade still intact. Doing that and removing the auto service center, would go to make nicer neighbors for the SkyVue than what is there now. That also goes for the former Ford dealership building now a Staples, it looks like a white fortress . This is going to be the focal point of a new city center, let's get rid of the ugly "edge of town" look this part of corridor has now.