Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum

15678911»

Comments

• On the Broad Museum's site they have some aerial pictures of the construction up:

Broad Museum Photo Gallery
  • Ha! I was in EL yesterday and took a couple shots I was about to post. Construction seems to be progressing nicely.

It's a pain to have Circle closed off there at Farm, but it's not the first time it's happened, and I'm sure it won't be the last *crossing fingers that they do something about Student Services*.
  • The State News reported a couple days ago that the project is still $6 million away from its funding goal of $40 million. The troubling statistic mentioned in the article is that there was $33 million raised by June 2010, so that number has only been bumped $1 million in the last 10 months.

If that pace continues, the project will only have raised just over $35 million by the scheduled completion date in April 2012. The “[w]e get it done when we get it done” quote from Vice President for University Advancement Bob Groves doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
  • There is not really a reason to be alarmed. Fundraising has just started to intensify since the Museum director wasn't hired until last December and didn't started until January. So, as he begins to talk to people and more fundraising initiatives are established (just like one recently established for a wall of donors), then people will start giving more money. Also, the Broads donated for some operational costs which kind of reduces the overall fundraising gap. But, in general, for this Museum to be consistently of high quality there is really some fundraising work to be done especially since Pres. Simon wants it to be as self-sustainable financially as it can be.
  • The museum opened a few weeks back. I had the opportunity to check it out last weekend while on campus for an MSU basketball game. Entrance to the museum is free, and they also have free audio tours if you bring your own headphones (headphones can be purchased for $5). The museum is beautiful inside and out, I highly encourage people to visit when they have the chance.
  • The museum landed a pretty distinguished listing on Architecture Digest's "Best Designed Building in Every U.S. State."

I think the LSJ had an article earlier this week on the museum's struggles, but I've yet to get around to reading it.